“My Uncle (Insert name here) just got a new camera, I think I am going to just ask him to shoot my wedding.” While your Uncle may have a good camera, here are some reasons to go with a professional.
Wedding photography is so much more than just having a nice camera. Professional Photographers willhave the following experience that your uncle would not:
- The ability to adjust his camera settings based on different lighting scenes. Someone that isn't a professional wedding photographer is almost guaranteed to miss something.
- Experience shooting important moments that you only have one chance to capture. A first kiss only happens once, you don't want someone to miss that.
- The energy to work non-stop for 8-12 hours without breaks. This is a wedding photographer’s job, they don’t rest or take breaks.
- Experience in guiding and directing large group formals. This is where the wedding photographer’s personality and experience is so important.
- Experience in taking extra shots of crucial pictures such as during formals in case of blinking, awkward expressions, etc.
While there are a lot of areas in your wedding budget that you can save money on, wedding photography should not be one of them. If you want to have professional- stunning, quality, creative imagery of your wedding day that will be timeless heirlooms to be shown and handed down to your generations to come, you will need a professional wedding photographer.
When looking for your own wedding, choose quality over products. Choose to have 2 photographers rather than just one. To sum it up, while you can always have your uncle take your wedding photos, once your wedding is done, all you have to cement that day is your wedding photos. You can never get that memory back, its better to invest in quality and more creative imagery after for your event.